3DS Objects in Kineme 3D

williamcotton's picture

Hey guys,

So, I'm working on a clip for StarWarsUncut.com, and I'm wanting to work with a 3D model of an X-Wing. I found a free one and it's in 3DS format. However, in QC, it's split in to a Structure... the problem is all the different parts of the model all have the same origin in the XYZ plane, so they're all on top of each other... is there anyway to get their original relative positions?


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

cwright's picture
Re: 3DS Objects in Kineme 3D

Make sure "Normalized" and "Center" are false (otherwise, each piece will get centered). If this doesn't solve the problem, please send the offending file to info@kineme.net and we'll take a look. We've got an unreleased 1.2 beta that addresses a few object-position bugs like this, but we haven't tested this functionality extensively yet internally.

sinsynplus's picture
Re: 3DS Objects in Kineme 3D

if you don't need the model to be in different parts just go to your 3d software for making it one complete object..

i'm using cinema4d which is able to deal with 3ds and there you select all parts then go to..

function -> connect..

delete the other stuff except the new object.. save and/or export back to 3ds..

Scratchpole's picture
Re: 3DS Objects in Kineme 3D

I had the same issue with a model I exported from Wings3d. Opening and re-saving with Blender sorted out the coordinates correctly. The suggestion of combining the separate sub-objects will also work.

gtoledo3's picture
Re: 3DS Objects in Kineme 3D

I've never felt like there is any plus to be had with having "sub objects" and loading with an iterator, unless it's for the "special effect" of progressively loading the structure, or because I'm too lazy to fly it into another app and re-export. That's interesting to hear that Blender sorted out the coordinates though. When I get one of those models, they are usually just messed up even if I re-export, but I didn't try Blender. That bodes well for my Skeleton and T-Rex models

The caveat to that, is that sometimes if I have a model that is unsolvable in parts laying on top of one another, I will load up to a certain range of the model using the structure index/structure range stuff ...right before it goes awry, and establish the placement (translation/rotation). Then I duplicate the iterator part, hook it up to the loader, start the index at where the last range left off, and start adding length to the structure until it goes bad again...etc, etc. The manual way, I guess.