1024 selector vs multiplexer

shaker08's picture

hi !! should be work?? not for me ... any ideas to select, with the keyboard numbers, the source index of a multiplexer ?? thanks !!!

gtoledo3's picture
Re: 1024 selector vs multiplexer

I haven't used that plugin, but keyboard to value selection can be done in QC using stock patches.

The method is this:

-Multiply a keyboard output by the multiplexer index value it's supposed to select, by connecting the outputs to a math patch in multiply mode.

-Add the result of all of these together using another math patch.

-Connect the output of that to a sample and hold's Value and Sampling inputs. Now, whenever a button is pressed, the associated value will sample.

-(optional) Connect some key to the reset value of the Sample & Hold patch for selecting Multiplexer index 0.

I've attached a composition, and should also mention that smokris made a more complex composition, "vcr", that's in the composition repository, which I learned this premise from.

PreviewAttachmentSize
keyboard multiplexer selection.qtz5.5 KB

shaker08's picture

fcking genius george!!! you read my mind THANKS!!!

franz's picture

_1024_selector does just this, all in one patch, without the noodling...

gtoledo3's picture

It's nice to not have to install plugins and have the composition be as portable as it can be, sometimes. Everybody has their own style, but I really try to never use plugins whenever possible. (I'm sure the plugin is awesome). It cuts down on my app sizes, I don't have to worry about different versions loading or shimming qcpatch/gfplugin, etc. :)

franz's picture

yeah yeah, I got that. In my case, a plugin is only 100k ...

So at the end of the day, app size doesn't count much... what counts is the time it takes me to make a comp, and the amount of noodles inside (the less noodles, the simpler to undestand a comp 6 months later ;)

gtoledo3's picture

Oh yeah, I'm way with you; I love having plugins around that reduce work time; I'm looking at it now, it's very handy.

We probably have two kind of different usual flows. I end up sending off qtz's quite a bit for discussion with qc using coworkers when working on projects, and I can easily burn a half day or more getting everyone up to speed in another user's plugin install, if they have a different version, different versions of the same plugin in multiple locations, etc. :) I've had it take days before, because sometimes people can just say "screw it, this thing doesn't work, it sucks" :) It's mainly a "cover my ass" type philosophy.

One thing that the selector patch doesn't do, that I find "missing" from using this other method, is allowing a key to trigger a user selected value. It's also really easy to add a multiplier and extra sample and hold to have values jump up or down ten, or X values, to make "pages" or banks of values.

shaker08's picture

sorry franz but im trying to conect 1024 selector with multiplexer and nothing happens ... osx 10.6.8 ... at any rate 1024 pluguins works great ..

franz's picture

? in this patch, everything "happens" as expected. 10.6.8 here as well. see attached example.

PreviewAttachmentSize
_1024_Selector_multiplex.qtz3.64 KB

shaker08's picture

yes franz is the same congfiguration that i was trying ... probably i made something wrong... thanks