Ableton port and 1024 network index key weirdness

itsthejayj's picture

Hi guys, im finally so close to porting information from Ableton Live to QC in my JAM2 application (yes i still banging on with this).

I'm using 1024 network to send information from an QB application to QC, the idea is to network two computers, one with Ableton and the other with QC. The problem lies when i'm using a key member to drill into a structure.

If i use a key member the structure doesn't output. If i use an index member the structure does output, however switching between 10.6 and 10.7 the index changes! So I need to keep to key ordering.

I started converting my structures to strings inorder to send using the stock network patch, but it turned into a huge hassle.

Is there anyway to keep my keys ordered in JS? Is this a QC, QB or 1024 network bud? Am i missing something here?

On attached is JAM2 server the QC composition and MIDI remote controllers for Ableton.

A setup video for the ableton setup part is available here. Watch it from 44secs - 1:50

Thanks

PreviewAttachmentSize
Kineme help.zip1.42 MB

franz's picture
Re: Ableton port and 1024 network index key weirdness

mmmm, sorry I didn't switch to 10.7 yet, so I don't know why the index would change between 10.6 and 10.7

you're actually the first user reporting that 1024_Network works with QB. (I'm not a QB user myself...)

gtoledo3's picture

This may not end up helping, but I'd hook up an image with string+sprite or billboard at the places where things seem to go awry, to monitor what the text is there. It sounds like maybe it's that the key name isn't quite correct, but I'm unsure.

There's a patch that lets you know what OS you're in, so you might be able to use that to choose one of two sub-setups as well.

itsthejayj's picture

I'm running a new build of QB that allows me to run my license version of videotool could this be the reason I've got 1024_network to work?! (i am now a tad worried to hear no one else has got this to work)

itsthejayj's picture

Even with a string and sprite i still don't see any output from the key member.

Thanks for reminding me about the host info patch George, i seems like that will have to do for now :(

gtoledo3's picture

New build? Irritating!

itsthejayj's picture

Nothing special, at least from what i can see, no special treatment i;m sure. It just allows my users to use videotools without purchasing a licenses from kineme. Also it saves a plist of last used input parameters settings which is useful but annoying at times.

George did you actually have time to run ableton and JAM2. I need to knock up some documentation but i've pretty much finished the Ableton API allowing us (qc user) access to every parameters of Ableton live's session view. The last thing to include is midi clip information that i'm sure Franz will love!

gtoledo3's picture

Yeah, I responded that it's irritating, bc I used to get alpha builds of qb, and also work for the company that commissioned some patches in video tools, I believe ... It used to get that stuff sent to me as par for the course, and to test. Whatever.

I haven't had a chance to test that yet, but I'll report back :-)

franz's picture

indeed, i'd love to be able to receive info within QC about what's going on in Live. Do you mean you're actually making a QCPlugin that uses the Live API ? Now you got me pretty excited !

franz's picture

sorry, I didn't meant you're the only one to have this working, just that I received reports from people who didn't get it working...

On the other hand I just received a newMac and they come with ... Lion, so I might have a look at your other 10.7 issue at some point.

itsthejayj's picture

:) yep. Although i'm keeping things as an separate application (server) not an qcplugin. I then pipe the information into QC via your 1024_network patch. One thing to note is that i'm NOT using Max4Live. I've also added lots of extra parameters such project setting collection on load, clip path, bpm, start/end position, clip duration etc that aren't currently included in the official API.

A project i've been dreaming about completing for Years! Glade the penny has dropped with you Franz!

Get involved http://www.facebook.com/justaddmusicmedia