Support for Kineme3D on 10.8?

apalomba's picture

I am interested in purchasing Kineme3d but I see that it has this a disclaimer... "Kineme products are not supported on OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)"

Does this mean it does not work at all on 10.8? Will there be an update out soon that supports 10.8?

Thanks, Anthony

smokris's picture
Re: Support for Kineme3D on 10.8?

Kineme3D works on 10.8, but with some caveats. See Kineme3D's "Known Issues" section — there are significant bugs in Quartz Composer itself on 10.8, which make it difficult to use Kineme3D on 10.8. We've seen no indication that Apple intends to fix this, so we therefore cannot officially recommend using Kineme3D on 10.8.

apalomba's picture

Then I should probably look in to using some other tool. Thanks for the info.

gtoledo3's picture

smokris wrote:
Kineme3D works on 10.8, but with some caveats. See Kineme3D's "Known Issues" section — there are significant bugs in Quartz Composer itself on 10.8, which make it difficult to use Kineme3D on 10.8. We've seen no indication that Apple intends to fix this, so we therefore cannot officially recommend using Kineme3D on 10.8.

What bugs?

I've been using 10.8 solidly for the past bit, and it seems significantly improved from 10.7, and it also has some new features. The only bug I've seen is with the video patch, which requires being passed through a core image filter (or other patch) to work correctly with GLSL.

I've also been informally asked to pass on any bugs I see with QC or Xcode, so people seem to be listening.

smokris's picture

Just what we documented under Kineme3D's "Known Issues" — that many of the QC Renderer patches on 10.8 are doing something that corrupts the GL context's state, which breaks existing VBOs and prevents creating new VBOs.

(And referring to the fact that the last time I received a response from Apple on any of the dozens of QC Radars I've filed was 2 years ago.)