1024 Network Receiver Crashes Quartz Builder

spaloo's picture

Hi,

I've been using this forum for several months now and the knowledge here has been a great help to me, but this is my first post. I am developing a set of compositions that generate synchronized output to 6 screens. My setup is a 'master' comp that displays diagnostic info and a preview of the synchronized output and 6 'slave' compositions that actually generate the content for each screen. In order to synchronize the content on each screen I am using the 1024_network(send/receive) patches to send control parameters. This works great in QC, but when I attempt to create Quartz Builder apps from the 6 'slave' comps Quartz Builder crashes. The crash happens as soon as I load the slave comp as the target - before I even attempt to build the app. I noticed that if I remove the 1024 network receiver patch it no longer crashes.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Are there any known workarounds?

gtoledo3's picture
Re: 1024 Network Receiver Crashes Quartz Builder

Quartzbuilder is a 32 bit runtime. Maybe the _1024 plugin was compiled 64 bit only and not universal. Just a hypothesis.

spaloo's picture

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't think that's the problem since I've been running QC in 32-bit mode while using the 1024_network patches.

Alternatively, I've tried using the OSC sender/receiver, which works except that the values remain uninitialized on the receiver end until they are changed for the first time on the sender end. If there's not a straightforward solution to the 1024_network issue perhaps there is an easy way to force all values sent through OSC to update?

gtoledo3's picture

It looks like it starts trying to configure itself or do something with the network when QB loads it (? )... something about NetService, it trying to get the Server address... I'm unsure exactly why, but then it segfaults.

That OSC thing is a drag, but I've always been able to work around it by just "knowing" that 0 should do nothing initially, and programming around it/doing math to mitigate it. You could probably send a pulse, or something at the composition startup. I don't remember if sending down one channel makes everything live, or if every channel has to be pulsed.

gtoledo3's picture

Note that there are also stock network patches, and even a synchronizer. However, you'll have to use the string formatting/structure tools, which isn't necessarily the most straightforward thing in the world.

It's fairly easy to turn a string with spaces, or some kind of token between values, into a structure, using built in patches.

franz's picture

Does your setup works in the QC editor and only crashes in QuartzBuilder ? I admit it's been a long long time I haven't deeply looked at 1024_Network, sorry about the inconvenience. What does the crash log says ? (you can send me the crash log in private)

spaloo's picture

Thanks again for your suggestions guys. Gtoledo, I can confirm that each value passed through OSC must be changed for them to be sent - unfortunately. I thought of the pulsing thing, but wanted to put a little more effort into a cleaner solution before taking that route. Franz, I've sent the crash log to the 1024 architecture info address. It does work fine in QC and only crashes in Quartz Builder.

franz's picture

this build seems to work ok for me in QB

PreviewAttachmentSize
_1024_NETWORK.plugin.zip82.34 KB

jrs's picture

I've got the same problem - I tried your new plugin franz and it allowed the app to be built but now my structures aren't getting sent

Swiftlikeninja's picture

I just tried the newest plugins and it instantly crashed QB on both the Sender and receiver patch. I am running 64 10.6.7