Saving a default Preset for Viewer Dimensions

usefuldesign.au's picture

A made two new Presets in Preferences for the Viewer Dimensions. One actual pixel size the other aspect ratio using same pixels. When I open the composition it defaults to the actual dimensions even when I save the comp with Viewer set to the aspect ratio Preset.

Is there a way to get aspect ratio preset to stick in QC? Also Kineme's QC App Builder can lock a comp to either of these can't it?

These two comps should be one fixed & one aspect.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

cybero's picture
Re: Saving a default Preset for Viewer Dimensions

My findings.

Both of these open as 640*420. You can fix the size of a viewer window in the files Editor Information, fixedSize {1152,720}, aspectRatio [1.6] Preset selected in QC, 16:10. Or fixedSize {1280,720}, aspectRatio [1.77] Preset selected in QC, 16:9. See example file attached.

If you create a preset and apply that to your comp and that preset is set to aspectRatio type, it should actually set the aspectRatio automatically in the Editor Information.

One can apply presets to a window as well as create presets in QC preferences for the Viewer window dimensions.

New Blank file defaults to 512*384 [Custom] on my machine, as does New from Template.

Your two files retained the size information you wanted to have retained [ at least after a fashion].

Once I had made two 640 x 420 presets, one as Aspect, the other as Pixel, I found both your comps automatically elected to open as Pixel based 640 x 420.

Puzzling, but true. Made no difference as to what place in the presets list either preset was placed. Even if setting prior to closing and saving , the preference was for the Pixels based preset for your files. Indeed, setting such a viewing preference seems to be treated as an ephemeral thing

I also found that if I subsequently set a New Blank to a 1280 x 720 preset by name of Vimeo, the comp, on re-opening, will open at 1280 x 720, but will preset itself at that pixel size to the 4:3 preset, which does suit a Vimeo HD size, obviously enough, in terms of multiples and divisors.

Obviously some kind of only if it needs to be that precise preset seems to be a part of the logic involved here, methinks :-)

QC aims to be resolution independent and one has to specify dimensions if offline rendering or creating say an installation or interface of a fixed size, otherwise, Custom [albeit 512 x 384] is the default for QC Viewer window, by design :-)

Finally, by and large, Aspect Ratio is meant to be elastic, Fixed Size is meant to be , well fixed and although one can get the Editor Information to take and retain entries for both, rejigging the preset whilst editing the file, or altering the pixel size will reset that information.

Usually Aspect Ratio means no fixed size, whilst Fixed Size means you get that pixel dimension set and will only get an aspectRatio entry retained if it is congruent with the pixel dimensions inherent aspectRatio.

PreviewAttachmentSize
SizeSettings16_9.qtz33.85 KB
SizeSettings16_10.qtz33.85 KB

usefuldesign.au's picture
Re: Saving a default Preset for Viewer Dimensions

cybero wrote:
If you create a preset and apply that to your comp and that preset is set to aspectRatio type, it should actually set the aspectRatio automatically in the Editor Information.

Not for me on Leopard unless I'm missing something. I mean they do open at correct pixel size (therefore ratio) but not as a stretchy window. I'd like the option I have saved in preferences called PATCHbANK aspect ratio to appear in the list items on the Viewer Window.

Quote:
Puzzling, but true. Made no difference as to what place in the presets list either preset was placed. Even if setting prior to closing and saving , the preference was for the Pixels based preset for your files. Indeed, setting such a viewing preference seems to be treated as an ephemeral thing

That's what I find on Leopard too.

Quote:
Obviously some kind of only if it needs to be that precise preset seems to be a part of the logic involved here, methinks :-)

Yeah it's a little odd…

Quote:
Finally, by and large, Aspect Ratio is meant to be elastic, Fixed Size is meant to be , well fixed and although one can get the Editor Information to take and retain entries for both, rejigging the preset whilst editing the file, or altering the pixel size will reset that information.
I'll mess with this. I opened the files in plist editor because I can't see the instruction patch in Leopard to see a message saying look at plist and editor info for geeky message — seeing is believing ;-) — how are you getting all the data into the editor info, your not entering it all by hand are you, is that a script you have or something?