_1024_MeatBalls

franz's picture

Big fat greasy hairy meatballs. yum yum !

DL from http://1024d.wordpress.com

Scratchpole's picture
Re: _1024_MeatBalls

Wow Franz all your new plug-ins look amazing! You really have been going for it. Are they 10.6 only? K-core puts them in my Users/Me/Library/Graphics/QC Plug_Ins Is that correct?

cybero's picture

Sweet meatballs :-) .

franz's picture

correct. They should be 10.5.10.6 / official api so put them in qc plugins folder, not patches. Drop me a line if they don't work under 10.5

laserpilot's picture

Wow..these are great! So smooth and fast

idlefon's picture

Great Franz!! Cool plugin!

Do you think texturing the balls is doable?

gtoledo3's picture

Cool effect...

It would be nice if when you increase count, if the ball morphed out of another one, instead of popping on with a hard enable/disable.

franz's picture

you have to animate the radius. see attached example

PreviewAttachmentSize
_1024_MetaBalls CellMorph.qtz23.36 KB

gtoledo3's picture

Oh, I see.

Could the thing take an x/y/z structure input, and just increase or decrease counts as you send more? (just a thought) I guess how easy that is depends on how you're setting up the metaballs.

franz's picture

Initially, that's what I had in plan. However, at the end it seemed just overkill, when I had to think of an interface for the plugin. You can already do it easily. See example - which needs 1024_PerlinNoise.

Since calculations happen on the CPU side, more than 10 metaballs seriously harms the framerate.

PreviewAttachmentSize
_1024_MetaBalls Structure.qtz48.22 KB

Scratchpole's picture

No go with 10.5. I know I really should have upgraded to SL by now! :(

I only have two of your plugins showing up in Patch creator, Perspective and Wave generator. I have five others installed in the same plugins folder, but no show. Kcore plugin manager finds no problems.

gtoledo3's picture

That's almost a little surprising... I haven't really checked how many vertices you're drawing or anything. I don't know what steps the algorithm you have going has to do to make it work. I've seen some implementations that don't really add a tax to the system as you add more objects ( I did an extremely dumbed down version of this, limited to what you can do inside of QC, in the composition repository).

If someone's cpu rocks, it might not be too horrible.

Anyway, nice work, as usual.

I'm curious how you decided to generate normals... is that part of the isosurface library/code you're using?

Like... think about how lerping between a ton of verts and normals on the cpu can still work efficiently and ok.

franz's picture

Xcode seems to compile by default agaisnt 10.6. This one should be ok.

PreviewAttachmentSize
_1024_MetaBalls.plugin.zip83.3 KB

gtoledo3's picture

Yeah, that bites me in the butt sometimes! It's obnoxious... it seems like if you make a copy of a project and start working on a different version, it doesn't keep build settings. I'll have to check that though, it might be something else...

Scratchpole's picture

Yep that's working great. Thankyou very much Franz. Do you want a list of all the others that don't load????

gtoledo3's picture

I just wanted to comment on what a cool plugin this is, again. (I was just messing around with it.)

When balls overlap, it seems like sometimes the front face will turn off (or maybe it's the back face). Is there a control in the code that controls something that would affect that?

It is so awesome to have it all working in a bounding box in 3 dimensions like this.

toneburst's picture

Doh! Yet about, you've done something I wanted to do (but never got around to- as usual)...!

Great stuff, anyway.

Have you considered doing an OpenCL-based version? There's some OpenCL marching cubes example code here http://www.cmsoft.com.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layo... if you're interested.

a|x

franz's picture

I think I'm culling the backfaces.

franz's picture

I'm a bit reluctant to openCL actually... But thanks for the link, it seems quite interesting !