10.6.5?

superflea's picture

Hi,

I just wanted to check if anyone had downloaded this already to see if it's safe to update for QC stuff or better to wait?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

cybero's picture
Re: 10.6.5?

Yeah, I have and no, haven't had any problems evident thus far as a result in QC. Audio plugins, now that's a different story all together :-) [not Kineme Audio BTW].

dust's picture

seems ok for me relatively if i connected up a noodle to a published port qc gives me back trace errors. i wouldn't be afraid to upgrade by any means though don't get me wrong. my problem might not have anything to do with framework 4. 10.6.2 killed everything qc for me so im saying don't be afraid but don't get mad it me if you break computer is all i'm saying :)

superflea's picture

Thanks, I remember a lot of people (including me) having problems with previous updates so that's why I was being cautious. Obviously I won't blame anyone here for any problems don't worry! What problems are you having with audio plugins Cybero?

cybero's picture

were you on Unity 3D at the time of 10.6.2, dust? not pointing fingers or anything, just have found that 3rd party QC related code can be the cause of post update QC blues more so than Apple's own code base [not saying that's entirely impossible neither BTW :-)]

cybero's picture

One or two failed to load.

Ran Audio Units management, disabled the problem items, now we have GarageBand back.

Logic Pro users also report the same sort of problem as do KVR users, the former might find Disk Utility repair permissions will help, the latter that http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/ can help them reconnect.

All to do with the under the hood subtleties of the included security update in 10.6.5.

Using the Combo Update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324 is recommended for Pro Tools users.

dust's picture

no i didn't run anything on 10.6.2 things like pixelmator, programs that use the qc framework for what ever reason would crash. i tried your trick of copying the old framework couldn't pull it off though so nuked the system and went back 10.6.1. i'm just running 10.6.5 for the printing and testing midi endpoints on the ipad.

leegrosbauer's picture

Some virtual camera applications are capable of running quartz compositions as effects and might be being used in conjunction with Adobe's Flash Media Player to stream those compositions. Unfortunately, 10.6.5 appears to have delivered a recent version of Flash Media Player which has a currently unresolved bug that is adversely affecting camera selection on the Mac. Here's the in-progress bug report at Adobe: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-5730

cybero's picture

Tee Hee , failed to mention that in dispatches earlier, however this is a full discussion of the problem upon this support thread http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2649553&tstart=15

leegrosbauer's picture

Ah, good. I'm monitoring the bug report at Adobe, so I'll add the Apple Support discussion to the watch list. Thanks!

dust's picture

hugh i noticed something like this lee with my skype. i can not share my video camera. skype says i have two isights one for leopard and one that says always in use no matter what they both will not produce an image. i have to either screen share my cam from qc or open cam twist to use my cam in skype its very weird.i don't know if it has anything to do with some adobe osax error or something like that that keeps popping up.

leegrosbauer's picture

Well, I don't know if this applies to your circumstance, dust, but in monitoring this issue on our own Macs, both CamTwist's developer and myself have observed instances where the cam-accessing irregularity sometimes carries over to other apps after having used our cams in conjunction with the Adobe Flash Media Player plugin. The irregular behavior in this regard is inconsistant, however.

One could try Adobe's uninstaller for the Flash Media Player to see if the issue goes away, I suppose? Also, it's being reported that earlier versions of Flash Media Player don't have this problem that's under consideration here (but installing them might be at the risk of decreased security, I would suspect).

idlefon's picture

I upgraded to 10.6.5 three days ago from 10.5.8 . Instantly i got a feeling that QC is slower. I even had this feeling toward everything graphic-related on my system. I thought maybe it's slower because my Xcode is from the 10.6.0 (it says Version 4.0 (103.1)), so I'm in the middle of updating my Xcode to 3.2.5 right now. Everything else seems fine though. has anybody else had the "Slow QC" problem when moved to SL?