v002 Model Importer Basics: Textures

jersmi's picture

Forgive if some of this has been covered. Questions here mostly regarding textures:

1. I have an 800x800px .psd file plugged into the image input. I have the model loader inside a trackball (eventually will be inside 3D transformation patch). I want the image/texture to be "attached" to the model, but as it is now, the image seems to float freely/differently from the model. How can I do this?

2. Also, what is the relationship to scale/pixel dimensions for the image input (with auto scale selected)? There appears to be some affine transformation along edges (or the look of)? How can I scale to fit, produce predictable results, etc.?

3. I use Cinema 4D. How should I prepare models for use with the model loader re: textures? Can I create textures in C4D and have them appear the same? Proper UV settings, et al.? (I'm not deeply experienced in this world, and I usually just need simple objects, reasonably low poly count, simple textures, at least for now).

4. I know experienced 3D people probably know the terminology, but any explanation / general knowledge on the uses of the Texture Coordinates settings would be appreciated, too.

5. Interested also in understanding the differences in how QC mesh vs. v002 handle texture mapping.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any knowledge.

vade's picture
Re: v002 Model Importer Basics: Textures

1) Image Texturing depends entirely on the UV coords of the model, assuming you have selected "Model" for the texture coordinates. Otherwise it is based of of world space, eye space or normals. If your model is UV mapped, then you should be ok.

2) What does this have to do with the model loader? I am unsure what you are asking.

3) Export to collada. If you need to learn how to embed UV coords, consult the C4D documents. This is a rather involved process and varies greatly from modeling package to modeling package. You load images into the modeling app. You export the model with a "url" to the image, so the model references the on disk image.

4) Search for UV coordinates, Texture Mapping etc.

5) There should be none, if your model is correct. I've imported and tested various different models in both, and have gotten consistent results.

Also: http://forums.v002.info

jersmi's picture

Thanks a ton, very helpful. The bit about pixel dimensions is just trying to understand what I'm seeing when I plug any image into the model loader (set to model). How does the model loader decide how to place an image, say video or if one wishes to experiment with various other possibilities in QC? I'll start with understanding more about UV mapping, sure, but if there's anything to impart on this, it'd be appreciated.

Edit: and, yeah, the v002 forums, i like the feel of what you got going on over there. bangnoise was super helpful re: some syphon stuff. I'll put it on the radar.

vade's picture

Most models are textured with UV coordinates from 0 to 1. These are texture coordinates associated with Texture 2D (as opposed to Texture Rectangle, which core image uses, where coordinates are width and height).

This means it does not "matter" what the size of the image. A point at 0.5, 0.5 will be in the center of the image regardless of the size of the image.

jersmi's picture

Thanks. A few misfires and trial runs is starting to produce results.