Particle tools broken?

blackburst's picture

According to kineme core and kineme.net i have the latest release installed. Yet the example compositions all crash QC. I only got one to open without crashing but there was only instructions, no gl content. I tried piecing my own particle comp together and it produced nothing. Can anyone explain this or help me? Maybe another example patch for me to try would be great. thanks guys.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

cybero's picture
Re: Particle tools broken?

I note that you say not one composition ran. Are you running the compositions in QC in 32 bit mode? Are you running QC in Snow or Lion?

blackburst's picture
Re: Particle tools broken?

Ahh. they run in 32-bit mode. Is that normal? I don't recall seeing anything about 32-bit only in the release

cybero's picture
Re: Particle tools broken?

You've just caught up on what has been norm reference for quite a while now blackburst.

Since 10.6.x came out and 10.7.x is also the same in this regard, QC in 32 bit mode is the only environment within which the current release of Particle Tools functions.

There is no likely change on that front any time soon or possibly ever due to the vee source not being 64 bit :-) [I'd love to be wrong about that for sure :-)]

smokris's picture
Re: Particle tools broken?

For ParticleTools, yes, unfortunately, that's normal. (And I just now added a warning to the download page indicating that.)

gtoledo3's picture
Re: Particle tools broken?

cybero's picture
ParticleTools-BandaidVersion_gt.plugin

Nice one :-)

gtoledo3's picture
Re: ParticleTools-BandaidVersion_gt.plugin

cybero wrote:
Nice one :-)

Mmm, don't get too excited. Refreshing my memory...

This mainly restores the k3d function, when in 32 or 64 bit but without color table effecting it anymore. If you open up boidfish, you'll see it work with the fishes flipped in 32 or 64 - this is because some stuff in the k3D wound up resulting in that being at a changed rotation now.

This mainly helps actually open stuff in 64 bit and not get restore errors. Some stuff works ok in 64, but it's hit or miss. Open it up in 32 bit mode if you want it to run ok. In 64 bit, I'm noticing VBO blows up, the stock renderer is doing something weird with color table plugged in (causes QC to beachball), etc. Hence the term "bandaid"...it's still bleeding!

The color table stuff/some value conversion stuff not working right and causing freezes (having to go in and update value types to work correctly in 64 bit), and the fact it uses the old sdk seem to be the most major issues. The source is available here, maybe someone should GIT it.