how to use v002 Rutt Etra

hellopiccadilly's picture

It's a first time I use QC. I downloaded a lot of examples with *.qtz I tried to make some clicks in this program, but I have no idea how to use v002 Rutt Etra plugin.

I'm trying to apply this effect for some parts of my video (graduated work in film school). In attached files you can see before and after ( I did it with http://airtightinteractive.com/demos/js/ruttetra/ but here it only with images, sure i can save video like sequence of images, and apply this for 10000000 pictures, but it will take a lof of time))

So, how to start me? Maybe some *.qtz with video projects would be great. This kind of effect absolutely fit to my story I really need that to get.

Thx in advance.

PreviewAttachmentSize
before.png
before.png1.36 MB
after.png
after.png1.24 MB

benoitlahoz's picture
Re: how to use v002 Rutt Etra

Hi,

Using v002 Rutt Etra is very simple (thanks vade)... Plug your image and make some adjustments to fit the parameters with your needs and... you're in ! Drag and drop a video, or use the "video input" patch then plug it to the RuttEtra "Displacement Image" ("Image" is for texture). You may choose "scanlines" and a resolution of 200, that seems to fit what you want to do. Be careful that the 2 and 3 versions are quite different, as the v.3 seems to be made for the Kinect depth pic.

jersmi's picture

vade has made it easy for us. see attached .qtz, uses Rutt Etra 3.

PreviewAttachmentSize
RuttEtra3_videoIn.qtz19.2 KB

vade's picture

:) Version 3 is like 2x faster, and can work with both Luma and Depth images, like the old version 2, and the Kinect depth. I should release that soon!

cool! amazing! thx a lot!

So, I can capture from web cam, I can do it with video file. The only question I have now, how to export that?

I attached the screen. what i need to add for export?

And one more question.... I've read that: v002 Rutt Etra works best with our fast and deep Blur, found here. (http://v002.info/?page_id=6)

how to add deep blur?)) and what that?))

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 12.11.25 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 12.11.25 PM.png868.51 KB

yeap, i did render with quartzcrystal2. so, actually i have only 1 qeustion now. how to work with blur from here: http://v002.info/?page_id=6

thx in advance)

vade's picture

Install it ? Add it to the composition? Use it for blurring the image that goes to the Displacement Image input?

thx, it works, i'm not sure I need it)

thx anyway)

Fredrik's picture

Hi.

First post here. Been doing a few comps using the wonderful Rutt Etra (2.0.1), and now I´m trying to apply it on each side of a cube that I´ve textured with a logo (black b.g and bright logo). For some reason it seems that it´s possible to apply the patch on one side only, and the effect is displaced quite a bit into the background behind the cube. I´d like it to stick to the surface of the cube, and of course on each side...

Any suggestions? And be gentle with me if this is something obviously easy, quite new at this :)

jersmi's picture

Can you post a qtz?

cybero's picture

Try this - the image input can be entirely your own of course. BTW , this uses Rutt Etra version 3.

PreviewAttachmentSize
CubeFaceRuttEtraLogoImage.qtz35.92 KB

gtoledo3's picture

The Rutt Etra distorts a plane - the geometry isn't going to be a cube. You can place 6 of them at different rotations and manually make a cube, but remember that placements of the planes will probably change as you tweak the displacement value.

cybero's picture

I thought Fredrik wanted to know how to place a Rutt Etra image onto each face of a cube, but maybe you are right about what sort of approach he was conceiving of realising in this instance, GT. I'll look forward to hearing just what approach Fredrik was really aiming for. Also, I find that the Blending mode required results in other problems regarding placement of the distorted plane resulting from using the v002 Rutt Etra patch either version

vade's picture

Thats not a blend issue, thats would be a Z order issue due to lack of control in QC (for the most part) in dynamic render order.

cybero's picture

Well, thanks for the advice on that point vade.

Fredrik's picture

The thing is that I´m trying to have a cube rotating (cleaned up the .qtz so the LFO is missing in the attached file), and to have Etra (2.0.1) applied on each of the six sides of the cube, popping out with the Audio Input patch. Also been trying to combine multiple objects to achieve this , but without any good result. Not a big thing to make the cube with textures, moving and all that. It´s just this little other thing with Etra :).

Feel free to have a look at it.

Thank you guys for helping out here. Much appreciated!

PreviewAttachmentSize
texturedcubeprob.qtz84.33 KB
kutextur.jpg
kutextur.jpg78.62 KB

cybero's picture

I wish I'd twigged that you were using the version 2 of Rutt Etra earlier on.

The attached reworking of your problematic composition should be pretty much totally working for you.

I have coloured up the faces of the cube to make it entirely obvious to you which face is which and attached the audio input patch peak values via an a * (3 + cos(b)) Math Expression patch to the v002 Rutt Etra 2 patches Element Size and Z Extrude inputs.

In short, if you want to change anything in the reworked version of your composition then by all means do so.

PreviewAttachmentSize
texturedcubesolution.qtz88.64 KB
TrackballInternals.png
TrackballInternals.png109.14 KB
TopLevel.png
TopLevel.png118.64 KB
RIIMacroInternals.png
RIIMacroInternals.png128.24 KB

Fredrik's picture

Yeah, that´s getting me closer to what I want to accomplish Cybero! I´ll have a closer look after work. I´ll probably get back with more questions, and hopefully I can contribute with some knowledge when I´m more comfortable using QC in the future :)

Many thanks

cybero's picture

Pleased to hear that was helpful to you Fredrik :-).