Comp runs fine in QC but super slow as a screensaver (uses gl lines and 1024 SVG)

laserpilot's picture

I have a comp I was working on that takes a vector file of a logo and just done some manipulations to the vertices based on sound output. It uses a few iterators and such, but nothing crazy. I would say the total structures for gl lines are somewhere around 100 to 200.

The comp runs at around 45-50fps when in fullscreen in QC, but as a screensaver it almost completely locks up the system and does maybe 5fps

The svg reader is basically just modifying the example that franz included with the plugin, but then reading the vertices into a js file to modify the x and y values individually

I could post it minus the logos if anyone had ideas of things to check. I'm going to try and eliminate pieces one by one and see if I can find the culprit.

laserpilot's picture
Re: Comp runs fine in QC but super slow as a screensaver ...

What I love is when I post something here and them find the answer for myself in like 5 minutes, hah. Feel free to delete this topic.

I was leaving in some of the pieces from the screensaver template comp and just disabling them...but it turns out it is better to just clear them out completely...now it seems to run fine

laserpilot's picture
Re: Comp runs fine in QC but super slow as a screensaver ...

Ah..what i thought was fixed is somehow not. I can let the composition run full screen in QC on the same computer for an infinite amount of time and it never stutters.

When the same exact comp is used as a screensaver, it grinds the entire system to a halt in about 5 minutes...the screensaver can be seen getting slower and slower....it takes almost a minute for the desktop to come back when you move the mouse to disable the screensaver

Does anyone know of something I could check that may be causing this? Sounds like a memory leak of some kind, but I'm not sure