_1024_VectorFont

franz's picture

Hi, here's a plugin to render a vector font using openGL. No font selection, as every char. is hardcoded with GL_LINES. It should be faster than the stock method consisting in rendering text into a bitmap image... (hopefully, as I haven't deeply speed-tested it).

Download from 1024 Blog

franz's picture
Re: _1024_VectorFont

FYI, I just added a Completion field that allows some animation inspired by ToneBurst JS String patches. Also added a speedtest QTZ, that requires FSK'Simplex plugin.

Thxx A|X and FSK for inspiration !

cybero's picture

That's really nice, being able to vectorise and animate the text.

I have found that that replacing strings at present requires that the whole length of the previous string be cleared as simply replacing a longer string with a shorter string leaves part of the longer string on screen after it has been actually replaced.

franz's picture

thanks for reporting, i'll check that.

usefuldesign.au's picture

I was just thinking as I woke up this morning how optimised font rendering in QC actually is — then this! Great for 3D landscapes and extra large point sizes.

Spent last night drawing a 7-segment LED to use in Quartz so was wondering how much faster using my 7-seg (with a bitwise driver) is compared to using a pre-existing LED font and rendering that to an image. Of course there's nothing like drawing it how you'd like it to be for yourself. Will check out your speed tester .qtz and find out. Thanks, 1024

franz's picture

this is now fixed. thanks for noting.