FRZ - Scale structure 1024_mathStructure

bernardo's picture

Hey kineme community, my good people. I have a question that regards the Structures Problems!!!

I need to "scale by a given value" a 3d structure. given by the XML in attach. so I need help as to doing this.

I use 1024_mathStructure 3d but no can do. i generate second structure via javascript with same index and bang! crash.-..

help anyone!?

PreviewAttachmentSize
3d_Drawing_TEST.xml_.zip6.65 KB
1024_mathQuestion.qtz3.74 KB

franz's picture
Re: FRZ - Scale structure 1024_mathStructure

if you just want to uniformly scale all the points, why not place your renderer in a 3d transformation macro ?

FYI your comp is not crashing on my computer ...

gtoledo3's picture

I agree w/ Franz about just using a 3D transform if possible.

That said, I remember making this a long time ago (see attachment).

It's a patch for translating points, but if you manipulate the W value, it should make the point set appear to get smaller or larger in scale when you're rendering the data. You'll need to make sure you're sending it vec4/float4/"four lanes" of data.

PreviewAttachmentSize
open cl translate.qtz1.54 KB

gtoledo3's picture

...oh, I see there's no W value. Well, if you add one, that's what the W value can be used for, scaling stuff.

bernardo's picture

yes yes FRZ allready did that and its working fine.. but still i wanted to see how it would work doing it via javascript. still I can't get no ooutput... don't know why though.

but then again maybe my Javascript struct is a array and the on in the xml is a named structure am I right?

gtoledo3's picture

The composition works fine on my end... it's just drawing points that are +700 and offscreen. If I reduce the multiplier by quite a bit, stuff renders onscreen.

bernardo's picture

yeah thats nice GT. but i can't seem to make it work. no structs arrive at kinemem gl points... :(

something wrong me doing

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 9.58.28 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 9.58.28 PM.png100.95 KB

bernardo's picture

snow leopard here by the way.....

gtoledo3's picture

I'm on SL too. You should make sure you're using the latest version of franz's plugin, I know it was updated at some point. Other than that, maybe re-check the file path?

PreviewAttachmentSize
test.jpg
test.jpg86.65 KB

bernardo's picture

ok this is ackward frz plug version 1.1 as anyone its the latest I guess....

damm there is something wrong....

gtoledo3's picture

I'm using 1.2... I don't think I have an unpublished version or anything. I'd check his site again.

bernardo's picture

nope. from the box I can only find 1.1 . thanks GT. going the "3d transform" way

bernardo's picture

2/19/12 11:39:14 PM Quartz Composer[1099] *** EXCEPTION IGNORED: *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (5) beyond bounds (5)

in the console box .... mmmmmmm

there is something really wrong here

bernardo's picture

QC version: Version 4.0 (103.1) Framework Version 4.2 ({156.30})

running in 64 and 32 bits still no go! damm

gtoledo3's picture

Nah, I don't think there's anything that wrong... I think something like that would happen when the code is expecting one kind of structure or data at an index and is getting something different. The js probably has to be formatted to deliver the x/y/z with this version of the plugin.

Here's a link to 1.3...looks like I was actually using one version old:

http://kineme.net/forum/Discussion/DevelopingCompositions/HandlingStruct...

gtoledo3's picture

Oh, also, you really should use GL Scale (eg, a "Transform" patch) to handle this if the values don't need to be accessed. It's adding quite a bit more steps to the process to do it this way.

bernardo's picture

ahhhh! thanks gt..... its working now!!! thanks...

gtoledo3's picture

I'm guessing this is more of a reply to the link below :-)

...cool!

franz's picture

here's the 1.2 I'd be happy to fix the plugin if you run into problems/crashes (and yes, my bad, i didn't uplaod my box folder for some reason...)

PreviewAttachmentSize
_1024_MATHStructure 1.2.zip27.08 KB

bernardo's picture

ah! Thanks alot franz, sorry for the trouble!

cybero's picture

The Rhonda XML and the question composition you posted here also works in Lion, with the version 1.3 of the Math 3DStructure plugin.

BTW, thanks for reminding me of the Rhonda application. Been creating some .xml lines of my own. Works very well for both GL Tools and stock Mesh patches.

bernardo's picture

ahaha yeah I've using it like ALOT!!! .... but be aware of the XMLs headers that don't exists when you save the rhonda xml. Its one of the best programs thats has been around for ages, I say this as a 3d Visual artist. and the developers are so dmb that they don't work on it anymore.... anyway xml is the way to go.

here is what I use to add the headers before loading it in qc comp.

PreviewAttachmentSize
broto_XMLheader adder.qtz4.35 KB

cybero's picture

Neat and useful utility. Thanks for sharing

I don't think the developers are dumb if the application is stable and sufficient as it stands. They all are probably doing other things, new things.

bernardo's picture

I don't think the developers are dumb if the application is stable and sufficient as it stands. They all are probably doing other things, new things.

me neither, I am just mad with them because there are so many problems with the GUI.... anyway I am sorry for calling the dmb.. but... anyway. Its the final product that matters.

cybero's picture

@bernardo - the following is the reply I received from Amit Pitaru, the originator of Rhonda to my enquiry of him for further information regarding current and future development of Rhonda

Quote:
I'm still working on Rhonda, at a slower pace though. Paying-projects needed precedence in the past months, but there's more interesting work to be done on Rhonda. I apologize if I haven't been responsive on the forums - definitely trying to do better.

Is there anything in particular that you feel needs precedence?

so, bernardo and anyone else interested, do tell :-). What are the key points for altering, amending and so on that interest you. Regarding the GUI, I would suggest for the time being one noting down the key strokes and what they do as a handy little vade mecum. I would quite like to see a preference available for the units written to be scaled to 10ths, 100ths, 100ths of those currently written to the XML to more easily enable that XML to be utilised and ported to other applications, such as Quartz Composer.

bernardo's picture

thanks cybero, I am making an list as we speak.!!! hugs bernardo