ImageExporter combined with Kinect, Kineme3d and v002 Model Exporter

UnexpectedGirl's picture

So a bit of background first on this project:

Live video feed combined with AR to bring in a game character which viewers can then control (just basic translation, rotation at this point) via the Kinect.

FINALLY managed to get all of that working with textures (although I think it was by fluke to be honest, still need to know if it's possible to bring in .mtl files?)

Last step now is to perform periodic captures from the viewer so I can save the pictures of people with the character. I'm using the ImageExporter plugin (ImageViewer wouldn't show up in my plugin library) but here's the problem - if I cut and paste my patch into a container of some sort (Trackball, 3DTransformation etc), the AR stops working.

If you have a solution to that please I'd love to know, or any other suggestions as to how I can connect the ImageExporter node?

vade's picture
Re: ImageExporter combined with Kinect, Kineme3d and v002 ...

First, props for Gordon Freeman.

If you need to capture the entire scene to an image, or to a video, I would suggest using Syphon on the top most layer, set to capture the "OpenGL Scene" and then use the Syphon Video Recorder app.

http://syphon.v002.info

This will put the recording "out of process" so it won't block or mess up your compositions rendering.

There are other solutions however. You could dump everything you have into an Render in IMage patch, and render to a billboard. That same image would go to a Image Writer patch, which you could trigger as you wish with logic from within QC.

UnexpectedGirl's picture

Great thanks, will try that! :) My real issue is that I can't cut and paste the patch into a containing node because for some reason the AR stops working then, but it might be that I have to rebuild it from scratch :/

Haven't played around with Syphon though, looking forward to it.

dust's picture

Syphon is great... You will not need to put yur patches inside any kind of container with syphon. You just place syphon on the right layer and it captures everything In your screen like magic.

UnexpectedGirl's picture

Figured out what the problem was, and I should have earlier - the texture files are all in .dds format. Since that can only be converted via Windows, I don't suppose I can redirect the textures to .jpeg files I saved out in Windows?

UnexpectedGirl's picture

No worries, went the really long way round and brought it into 3dsMax, changed the textures to .png's then back into QC, which took some fiddling, but all sorted.

Now, to just get Syphon working... :)