v002 plugins update

vade's picture

Hello

Just a quick word - v002 plugins are on github, along with some new (previously unreleased) work.

https://github.com/v002/

All plugins are being vetted against 10.8 (and so far, all work) , and we plan on supporting and continuing to release for 10.6/7/8.

Also, here are two compiled plugins we would love people to take a look at, which we hope are now past beta and 100% ready to go:

http://v002.info/downloads/beta/v002%20Open%20Kinect.plugin.zip

Now supports multiple Kinects fully (100% tested - in QC and in hosts like VDMX), depth un-projection and color rectification so perspective correct geometry is returned and color data is re-aligned to the depth image so texture mapping is correct and aligned. We alsosupport supporting both floating point depth, and position map outputs for use with the new Rutt Etra.

http://v002.info/downloads/beta/v002%20Rutt%20Etra.plugin.zip

And update to the Rutt Etra, now much faster due to use of OpenGL multiple render targets, (3 render passes are now concatenated into 1), with additional controls, and an option for raw position map rather than luma displacement, so that point cloud data can be rendered, as well as particle systems, waveform and vector scope like displays, etc.

Please note, earlier betas of the Rutt Etra had a different plugin name, so it would not conflict with existing installs. This version replaces the previous 2.0, and should be a drop in replacement.

Thanks.

vade's picture
Re: v002 plugins update

Apologies, urls were not percent escaped (figured the forum would be smart enough - or let me edit - guess I'm wrong twice!)

http://v002.info/downloads/beta/v002%20Open%20Kinect.plugin.zip

and

http://v002.info/downloads/beta/v002%20Rutt%20Etra.plugin.zip

Thanks.

Corrected URLs in original post.

dreamrec's picture

hi vade , thanks for the updates // i get this error opening quartz, after installing the v002 open kinect plugin. i'm on 10.6.8

0x89ccbe20: -[NSView _drawRect:clip:]
0x89cca938: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:]
0x89ccaca2: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:]
0x89ccaca2: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:]
0x89cc900a: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:]
0x89cc9ed6: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:]
0x89cc9ed6: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:]
0x89cc8b2c: -[NSThemeFrame _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:]
0x89cc53de: -[NSView _displayRectIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:]
0x89c3ec0e: -[NSView displayIfNeeded]
0x89c39aba: _handleWindowNeedsDisplay
0x8400bb07: __CFRunLoopDoObservers
0x83fe7434: __CFRunLoopRun
0x83fe6d8f: CFRunLoopRunSpecific
0x8486574e: RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
0x84865553: ReceiveNextEventCommon
0x8486540c: BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode
0x89c0eeb2: _DPSNextEvent
0x89c0e801: -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]
0x89bd468f: -[NSApplication run]
0x00001d2b

destroythings's picture

Adding the v002 Open Kinect plugin causes a Quartz Error for me on 10.6.8

Quote:
0x82975e20: -[NSView _drawRect:clip:] 0x82974938: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:] 0x82974ca2: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:] 0x82974ca2: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayAllDirtyWithLockFocus:visRect:] 0x8297300a: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] 0x82973ed6: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] 0x82973ed6: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] 0x82973ed6: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] 0x82973ed6: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] 0x82973ed6: -[NSView _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] 0x82972b2c: -[NSThemeFrame _recursiveDisplayRectIfNeededIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:topView:] 0x8296f3de: -[NSView _displayRectIgnoringOpacity:isVisibleRect:rectIsVisibleRectForView:] 0x828e8c0e: -[NSView displayIfNeeded] 0x828e3aba: _handleWindowNeedsDisplay 0x857fbb07: __CFRunLoopDoObservers 0x857d7434: __CFRunLoopRun 0x857d6d8f: CFRunLoopRunSpecific 0x8810c7ee: RunCurrentEventLoopInMode 0x8810c5f3: ReceiveNextEventCommon 0x8810c4ac: BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode 0x828b8eb2: _DPSNextEvent 0x828b8801: -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] 0x8287e68f: -[NSApplication run]

Oops i was wrong still have the same rpoblem

vade's picture

Interesting. Let me see if I can re-create. Thanks for testing!

destroythings's picture

Im also having problems building the morphology and media tools projects.

Did i miss the already compiled versions?

The xcode projects seemed to be missing a few files. And any libraries i do not have.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen shot 2012-07-19 at 19.54.23.png
Screen shot 2012-07-19 at 19.54.23.png136.49 KB

vade's picture

You have to git-checkout so that you ensure you grab the v002-Utilties which is linked as a submodule. How did you grab the source - via zip link / download on the page?

destroythings's picture

Yes i just grabbed the zip download.

vade's picture

You can just download v002-Utilities then, which is the place where those files live. We link that repo as a "submodule" so changes we make there propagate across all v002 projects. Guess the downloader doesn't grab that, so you need to move it manually into there.

I've found the issue with 10.6.8, and am working around it. Basically, its because we are using the new 10.7 category keys. 10.6.8 complains about it, and dies a horrible death, when really it should just be ok and move on. Thanks for catching this, ill have a fix shortly.

vade's picture

Ok, I've fixed the issues with 10.6.8, and have updated those two links. I'm in the process of pushing the fix to the GIT repo source. Thanks.

vade's picture

Here is an example of getting correct perspective and color data from the Kinect, and drawing it with the Rutt.

PreviewAttachmentSize
v002 Open Kinect : Rutt Example.qtz3.47 KB

destroythings's picture

Yes i just grabbed the utilities part as that was all that was missing although it's still bringing up a missing file and build error?

vade's picture

Yes, this is the bug that we bumped into, this is because you are building on 10.6.8. Replace that string with @"categories" and it will work.

dreamrec's picture

indeed it works on 10.6.8 now //

but i get this weird extrude on all the modes, except points. ( see screenshots attached )

vade's picture

Yes, you will get this, because of how the geometry actually disconnected /distinct from the Kinect position data, and the Rutt assumes things are connected. Those modes work for Luma displacement (because in the video input, its displacing a plane), but for position data from the Kinect, they won't. Points work best. I've tried a few ways of fixing this, but none are great. If I come up with something, expect an update :)

destroythings's picture

Working fine here for me on all modes with the Rutt Etra plug in.

Note that this was with webcam and not a kinect for displacement image

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen shot 2012-07-19 at 22.00.45.png
Screen shot 2012-07-19 at 22.00.45.png265.53 KB

dreamrec's picture

got it , nice .. for sure it works much faster the new version, good update.

dust's picture

nice... FTGL up and running.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 11.35.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 11.35.15 PM.png49.52 KB

vade's picture

I've just updated the download link with new features. We now support the Kinect For Windows hardware*, "near mode", and the Kinect hardware accelerated depth hole filling algorithm, for slightly smoother depth profiles.

This device appears to be the same as the original XBox Kinect, with a different USB identifier. I don't have one, so I cannot test this first hand. That said, libfreenect branch I am using supports it.

destroythings's picture

Thanks.

Open Kinect now working fine on 10.6.8

jersmi's picture

How does this github stuff work? Do we have to compile our own versions in Xcode? Advice? Sorry if I am blind. I'm on 10.7.4.

vade's picture

Right now, I've yet to 100% test the other plugins, or take the time to compile them out, package them, etc. Honestly, its mostly packaging, putting change-logs and taking the time to make sure everything is in order. Github makes transitional changes/testing easier, and more open in that sense.

So if you want things other than the 2 plugin's I've linked, you'll need to download, or checkout the git source and compile them in Xcode 4.4 or 4.5DP2. I hope I can release these alongside 10.8 launch, and am testing compatibility with 10.8 GM, through to 10.6.8. More projects and beta's will likely be up on Github (and a few released projects that we have yet to clean up enough to put on Git, namely the current v002 Movie Player, and the Glitch plugins).

jersmi's picture

Ok, thanks. I have Xcode 4.2.1, which might be why nothing will compile without errors? Not a huge deal, for now I'll stick with the two you posted. :)

jersmi's picture

Rutt Etra looks good, haven't really pushed the speed issue. Z position has to be at -1 to rotate around center point on Y-axis?

vade's picture

Rutt rotates about 0,0,0, not about the center of displacement (which may vary frame to frame).

photonal's picture

Great to know you will be supporting 10.6.

I always used to update to the latest OS (right back from System 7!), however 10.7 Lion is the first Mac OS that I did not feel compelled to upgrade to and doubt I will jump to 10.8 Mountain Lion either.

jersmi's picture

okay, cool. a little confused about that, where 0,0,0 actually is in relation to the rutt etra 3D space, but no prob as long as it's expected behavior.

so i already had a v3.0 rutt etra installed, but you say above this replaces the 2.0... in this one the exported params are jumbled top to bottom.

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen Shot 2012-07-23 at 12.52.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-07-23 at 12.52.00 PM.png56.75 KB

vade's picture

You are on 10.7 ?

jersmi's picture

10.7.4. or looks like just the "max clipping" goes at the bottom, as opposed to "jumbled".

anyways, it is working well, have rutt etra image as input for another rutt etra, i.e., inside a render in image feeding to a replicate in space inside a render in image, going out syphon server to syphon recorder.

vade's picture

Under 10.7, when QC Editor is running 64 bit, official API plugins have port ordering issues. This has been a bug plaguing 10.7 since its inception.

jersmi's picture

ok, makes sense, i have seen that come up.

jersmi's picture

One more thing -- not sure if this has been there in other versions of Rutt Etra. There a line that splits the screen horizontally and won't go away. It's bugging me a little now but it's also possible it has been there for multiple versions.