1024_ParticleWarfare iteration problem

destroythings's picture

Im having a problem with the 1024_particlewarfare plugin.

I create a composition using the Kineme audio tools, 1024_wave and 1024_particlewarfare to render the lines.

Everything works fine and the waveform iterates correctly.

If i then save the composition and open it back up the image is only faintly visible in the viewer.

If i rebuild my composition again and repeat the process it doesnt open up correctly again.

PreviewAttachmentSize
waveformparticlegenerator0.2working.qtz15.22 KB

dust's picture
Re: 1024_ParticleWarfare iteration problem

seems to work fine on my system. not sure what its supposed to look like but seems like it works for me. (see pic)

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 8.46.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 8.46.15 PM.png57.42 KB

destroythings's picture

That's exactly what it should look like but when I save the composition then open it again everything has faded away and the waveform is only just visible

destroythings's picture

Im still having some very strange problems.

Sometimes it loads sometimes it does not load.

If i add it to another composition that i use for live performance it loads more often than not.

gtoledo3's picture

Did you try making sure you have the most recent version? I remember having some similar issues and franz putting together a fix... I'd guess it's been released since.

destroythings's picture

Yes im running the most recent version 1.2.1

It's very strange that some time it loads and other times i does not.

If i make it into a macro and toggle the enable button on and off it comes on after a few tries.

I have tested it on other systems and it loads up fine.

gtoledo3's picture

The fact it works on other systems makes me think that maybe you should check the Graphics folders in each of the three locations to make sure an older version isn't still loaded somewhere.

Maybe there's some other patch that's double loaded on your system. Other than that, I have no ideas.

destroythings's picture

3 locations?

I have checked for duplicates in ~/library/graphics and ~/home/library graphics.

Is there somewhere else i should be checking?

gtoledo3's picture

Maybe System/Library/Graphics too? So there's System/Library/Graphics, /Library/Graphics , and (user) ~/Library/Graphics.

That system is a no-no for placing 3rd party plugs in, but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of it.

It may be that some other plugin is convoluting stuff for you, and/or corrupting openGL state...though that's kinda weird. Possible though.

What I might try doing in a scenario like this, is to pull all three folders (maybe not System/Library/Graphics, if everything is stock), and then reintroduce just the needed plugins until you have an install that only uses the bare minimum to get your composition working, and see if the side effect still happens. If that didn't work, I might try deleting cache/preference files associated with Quartz Composer Editor, and see if anything clears up (seems an unlikely fix).

If all of that flaked out, maybe I'd look into taking the basic composition and using another qtz file with a Composition Loader (or is it Composition Importer? can't remember) to load the composition. Many times, disabling/enabling the composition importer in that scenario, or feeding a "blank url" to the input to make it load "nothing", then flipping back to your valid composition url will entirely clear the gl state and prove as a stop-gap way of working around these scenarios.

destroythings's picture

I went for the stripped down plug in folder option and seems to be running fine.

I'll investigate it more once i have played the show the pacthes are for

Thanks.

franz's picture

works fine on my machine. just to let you know that PWarfare is NOT intended to be put in an iterator tho'.

it is better for performance to feed the plug with a structure.