DataTools -- No 'product' after Build Settings update for Xcode 4.3.2

papadromos's picture

If one likes to build DataTools with Xcode 4.3.2 on 10.7.4, you are asked to update the build settings.

After doing so, DataTools do build sucessfully but there is no product, no plugin that should have been created.

Probably a simple settings change -- but which one?

Could anybody help me out?

PreviewAttachmentSize
Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 13.59.59.pdf181.75 KB

cybero's picture
Re: DataTools -- No 'product' after Build Settings update ...

Try downloading a fresh copy of the project, then attempting a build without performing the seemingly obligatory changes that you can actually choose to not perform prior to building. Make sure you have the SDK used as default in the build settings available to you. Alternate - try building only for your chipset after performing the changes.

papadromos's picture

Thank you for the quick answer!!!

With a fresh download, the message from Xcode runs like this:

> The run destination My Mac 64-bit is not valid for Running the scheme 'DataTools'.

> The scheme 'DataTools' contains no buildables that can be built for the SDKs supported by the run destination My Mac 64-bit. Make sure your targets all specify SDKs that are supported by this version of Xcode.

So, the 'obligatory' change I have to make is updating the base SDK from 10.6 to 10.7. (Or, is there a way to get the older one installed, somehow?)

If i only change the base SDK to 10.7 for the 'project' and the 'product' (viz. the plugin target) -- and absolutely nothing else -- it builds fine (as said) but (again) no plugin.

I guess, the problem rest with the way how build results are finally collected to form the plugin bundle. Maybe because the SkankySDK (though everything builds) is not correctly installed, or so ?!?

gtoledo3's picture

I haven't tried building it in 10.7, but in some kineme src code there's a script that moves the product to your Graphics folder automatically... I think the User one. Not sure.

papadromos's picture

Yes, thanx for the hint!

Though i was reading the forum before and thought i checked it thoroughly, i obviously did not do so enough! As i did not remove the older plugin and did not change the finder window, the file creation date of the plugin bundle would not change either and indicate that it had actually been build anew!

Hooray, solved!

gtoledo3's picture

Cool, excellent. On that note, what should happen if you've already built a plugin, and change something and compile again without deleting the old plugin, the plugin "container/folder" should likely keep the old date but the executable and other stuff inside (xml or whatever, if changed) will update. I remember being confused about that at some point.