The VideoTools plugin provides support for video input:
- Firewire video input, bypassing QuickTime.
- Network camera input, bypassing QuickTime.
- Video file input, bypassing QuickTime.
- Video file input, running QuickTime in a separate process.
Unlike Quartz Composer's built-in
Movie Importer patch, VideoTools doesn't block compositions while a video loads. With the non-QuickTime video file input patch, videos load faster. And, unlike
Movie Importer, VideoTools works reliably with threaded third-party applications (such as QuartzBuilder).
Supported Cameras, Containers, and Codecs
Supported Firewire Cameras
Any IIDC/DCAM-compliant Firewire camera, including:
- DMx 21BF04 by The Imaging Source
- Flea2 Color (FL2G-13S2C) by Point Grey Research
- Flea2 Mono (FL2G-13S2M) by Point Grey Research
- iSight by Apple (External Firewire)
(See also dc1394's camera list.)
- Firefly FFMV-03M2M by Point Grey Research
Supported Network Cameras
Video Player Movie Containers
Video Player Movie Codecs
- RLE ("QuickTime Animation")
- ProRes 422
- ProRes 422 (Proxy)
- ProRes 422 (HQ)
- Partially Supported:
- H.264 — stutters when played backward
- ProRes 4444 — alpha channel is ignored
- Currently Unsupported:
- Other formats that use interframe encoding (MPEG-4, ...)
QuickTime Player Movie Containers and Codecs
- Anything supported by QuickTime 7
- Kineme VideoTools does not play audio.
This software uses code from libdc1394 and FFmpeg, both licensed under the LGPLv2.1. FFmpeg's source can be downloaded here.
Unsupported on OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) and above
Please download the trial and make sure it meets your needs before purchasing. Due to bugs in Apple's Quartz Composer framework, we cannot guarantee that Kineme plugins will work properly on Mac OS 10.8 and above. Our focus has shifted to developing Vuo.