The VideoTools plugin provides support for video input:
- Firewire video input, bypassing QuickTime.
- Network camera input, bypassing QuickTime.
- Video file input, bypassing QuickTime.
- Video file input, running QuickTime in a separate process.
Unlike Quartz Composer's built-in
Movie Importer patch, VideoTools doesn't block compositions while a video loads. With the non-QuickTime video file input patch, videos load faster. And, unlike
Movie Importer, VideoTools works reliably with threaded third-party applications (such as QuartzBuilder).
Supported Cameras, Containers, and Codecs
Supported Firewire Cameras
Any IIDC/DCAM-compliant Firewire camera, including:
- DMx 21BF04 by The Imaging Source
- Flea2 Color (FL2G-13S2C) by Point Grey Research
- Flea2 Mono (FL2G-13S2M) by Point Grey Research
- iSight by Apple (External Firewire)
(See also dc1394's camera list.)
- Firefly FFMV-03M2M by Point Grey Research
Supported Network Cameras
Video Player Movie Containers
Video Player Movie Codecs
- RLE ("QuickTime Animation")
- ProRes 422
- ProRes 422 (Proxy)
- ProRes 422 (HQ)
- Partially Supported:
- H.264 — stutters when played backward
- ProRes 4444 — alpha channel is ignored
- Currently Unsupported:
- Other formats that use interframe encoding (MPEG-4, ...)
QuickTime Player Movie Containers and Codecs
- Anything supported by QuickTime 7
- Kineme VideoTools does not play audio.
This software uses code from libdc1394 and FFmpeg, both licensed under the LGPLv2.1. FFmpeg's source can be downloaded here.
Unsupported on OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
Kineme products are not supported on OS X Mountain Lion (10.8).